Monday, April 27, 2009

Mommy Minute.. The Escapee requests, "Hold Me!"

About 3 weeks ago something changed. Hannah started waking up screaming after only sleeping about 5 minutes during her nap. She requested I hold her and rock her which put her right back to sleep. But, she would not let me put her back in her crib.

It only got worse from there. Now, 3 weeks later, she won't let me put her down at all. She only wants me to hold her while she naps. She doesn't want to drop the nap, she just asks me to hold her and goes right to sleep.

Today it got even more interesting. After attempting to put her down for her nap and sitting in the room facing away while she cried, she crawled out of her crib for the 1st time, tapped me on the back, and said, "Mommy rock me. " So I gave in and rocked and held her. She slept for 1 and 1/2 hours. What's a mommy to do? Should I hold her during her naps or keep putting her back in her crib trying to get her to nap by herself listening to her cry for over an hour? Please help me. I like cuddling with her. But, I get no break until bedtime, and what if I am still holding her at age 3 and 4 during naps? I would love some advice. =)

5 comments:

Keri said...

oh kelly -- totally feel ya on this. can you get her a new stuffed animal to hug? or something special for the crib? hang in there! mamma needs her break!

3greenbeans said...

I have no advice, as I was on the floor with Aves just the other night, sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do.

As for Miss Hannah....WOW! I CANNOT believe my eyes. And I had to laugh at her tapping you on your back.....it's so cute.

It will all fly by so fast and one day WE will be begging THEM to let us rock them to sleep, lol. (Easier said than done when you are in desperate need for a break, I know.)

Joy said...

Mack is threatening to crawl out of his crib and it scares me! Hannah is so graceful climbing out but I don't think Mack will be! Right now there are pillows on the floor. I'm with 3greenbeans ... this goes by so fast I treasure the moments Mack falls asleep on me. But I need my nap too!! The stuffed animal sounds like a good idea. Let us know what works!

Kelly said...

I would say as long as she's OK at night, what the heck! They are only little and want to be held/rocked for a short time.
OR you might want to think about a toddler bed that you can lay down with her then sneak out once she's asleep.

Amanda said...

Kelly--I can't even BEGIN to tell you all of Zach's nap woes, nor can I even COUNT the number of nap strikes he's had in his 20 months...and yes, it IS so hard without a break all day long, but I've embraced the fact that this is what he needs right now. And no, you likely won't be holding her and rocking her at 3 or 4 years old...but so what if you are? This time is precious. Embrace it! Zach and I now nap together (again!) in my bed. BACK to the beginning...I rarely fall asleep, instead I lay there and stare at him...watching him sleep.

Don't worry about the other things that need to be done. They'll still be there...with kids we only have today. Treasure it, because they are NEVER the same. :-) And know that there is another Mommy not too far away that is doing the same thing you are! (((HUGS)))


Just Hanging Out! (The above wonderful pictures were taken by my dear friend and photographer, Dana Bone.)

Stealing a Kiss!

Having Fun with Mommy and Daddy

Enjoying the beautiful Austin days!